Illustration: Ginger, Turmeric, Calamansi
Salabat is traditional Filipino tea that soothes sore throat. It is made with ginger and turmeric which have anti-inflammatory effects, and are known to help improve the immune system. Salabat provides comfort, and boosts immunity, especially during cold and flu seasons.
Here’s how to make yourself a mug of strong salabat:
- 1.5 cups of water
- 1 knob of fresh ginger
- 1/8 inch fresh turmeric
- 2 calamansi fruit
- 1 spoon of honey (or brown/coconut sugar)
- Optional: Dash of cinnamon powder
- Take a large mug. Using a fine grater or microplane, grate the ginger and turmeric, and place in a mug.
- Add boiling water, and steep the ginger for about 5 minutes.
- Option to strain, or keep the grated ginger in to make the taste stronger.
- Squeeze the calamansi into the tea, and add the honey. Dash of cinnamon is optional.
- Sip, and enjoy while warm.
Illustration, Pattern and Recipe by Alessandra Lanot | LifeAfterBreakfast.ph