April: LEMONGRASS, MINT, AND PANDAN JELLY COOLER
Illustration: Lemongrass & Pandan
Lemongrass and pandan are both excellent sources of antioxidants that are known to help boost the immune system. They have anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce joint pain and swelling. Health benefits aside, the sweet aroma of the tea is invigorating, and is a delicious complement to savory meals.
For the Pandan Jelly:
- 5 cups of Water
- 1 bundle fresh Pandan Leaves
- 1 sachet of Gulaman Powder
- Boil a bundle of pandan leaves in 5 cups of water. Strain the tea, and let it cool.
- Then, gradually add 1 sachet of gulaman powder, and continue mixing.
- Turn the stove on, continue mixing. Cook mixture for 5 minutes until it boils.
- Transfer the mixture to a container, through a strainer to filter out solid parts. Let it cool down, and place in the chiller.
- Slice the hardened jelly to make cubes.
- Transfer to a container and store in the refrigerator.
For the Lemongrass Tea:
- 4 cups of Water
- 4 tsp fresh Lemongrass Leaves, chopped
- 4 Tbsp fresh Mint Leaves
- Juice of 2 fresh Lemons or Limes
- 2 Tbsp Sweetener of choice (sugar, coconut sugar, agave syrup or honey)
- Ice cubes
- Boil the water and add the mint leaves and lemongrass. Cover the mixture and infuse for about an hour.
- After infusing, add the lemon/lime juice and sugar, and stir.
- Place the tea in the chiller to cool.
- To assemble your drink, place pandan jelly at the bottom of the glass. Then add ice as the next layer.
- Then add about a spoonfull of the infused mint and lemongrass leaves, and pour the cold tea over.
Illustration, Pattern and Recipe by Alessandra Lanot | LifeAfterBreakfast.ph